Re: wiki [Was Re: The trick to build PySablot and an updated SuSE-GNUe-H

From: Derek Neighbors
Subject: Re: wiki [Was Re: The trick to build PySablot and an updated SuSE-GNUe-HOWTO]
Date: 19 Oct 2002 12:08:03 -0700

On Sat, 2002-10-19 at 10:07, Jason Cater wrote:
> I know that some don't like the idea of a GNUe wiki, but I'd like us to
> consider it again. Someone mentioned they didn't like the idea of doing
> docs in wiki at the expense of some traditional format.

I like Wiki.  I just dont want to spread us too thin (core team).  User
contributed docs via Wiki is great.  However, I dont think its a
palatable substitution for real documentation. How-to's and the likes
that users are compiling make for good wiki content.

> However, this is exactly why wikis would be sooo useful --
> user-contributed howto's, notes, samples, etc. Our users are a wealth of
> information. Especially when it comes to installation. Most of the core
> developers are Debian-biased, so it's hard for us to document the steps
> for other *nixes.

Thats fine, but I dont think a 'developers guide' or 'user
documentation' is necessarily a good idea to use Wiki.  I dont see wiki
as a 'discussion' replacement to irc or mailing lists either.  It might
be a good place to do FAQ's and HOW-TOs and such though.

> Either way, let's at least get these user contributed HOW-TOs up on the
> web somewhere. I was looking for the RedHat-HOWTO last week, but could not
> find it anywhere.

It was on the web page in the doc section and I recieved the SuSE one as
well and was going to post it.  Maybe our web site just needs an easier
way to upload 'user contributed' documentation?

Derek Neighbors
GNU Enterprise

Was I helpful?  Let others know: