Re: [gnugo-devel] Owl-eyes and Ko

From: Daniel Bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Owl-eyes and Ko
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2001 06:36:44 -0800

> Dan wrote:
>
> > The first two of these look like the same bug and yes, we are
> > supposed to get problems like this right. Maybe something is broke.
>
> No, these show a problem we've always had. The basic problem is that
> the optics code was written before any concept of ko was introduced.
> In particular this goes for the topological eye analysis. In test

You are correct. I just checked and GNU Go 3.0 also gets trevor
350 wrong.

There might be some relevant ideas in Howard Landman's paper
(linked from our web page). But off the top of my head, how
about something like this:

In doing the topological evaluation of the eye space at M9 in
http://www.public32.com/regress/regress.plx?tstfile=trevor.tst&num=350
the number reported by topological_eye is 4 if B is allowed
to play at M10, or 3 if B is not allowed to play at M10. So
W can claim there is a half eye here by becoming komaster.

The eye-dea of course is to do as much as we can by static
analysis. The function topological_eye would have to be
modified slightly, to report whether the number of topological
eyes depends on ko.

Can this be implemented?

Dan