Re: [gnugo-devel] snapback, connect.tst 23, 39

From: Gunnar Farneback
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] snapback, connect.tst 23, 39
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 23:09:38 +0100

Teun wrote:
> Then it would make sense to rewrite snapback in terms of already
> existing functions, add it to reading.c and reuse that in readconnect.c

There is nothing to rewrite. Just use attack() directly.

> Sounds cryptic to me.

Look at the earlier discussions about readconnect, e.g.

http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/gnugo-devel/2001-November/000407.html

> If this unclarity has been resolved, then it would be preferable
> to use a snapback function from reading.c

It has not. For the time being readconnect.c is to be considered as
highly experimental code. I leave it to Tristan to decide whether he
wants to try to use the tactical reading in reading.c together with
his design for readconnect. The patch in the message referred above
shows that the tactical reading in reading.c can be used with
advantage together with the readconnect code at its current state, but
since the "relevancy zone" concept has not been implemented yet it's
not clear that this will remain the case.

In any case the readconnect code is far from mature. This is not the
time for cleaning operations or consolidation with the rest of the GNU
Go code.