Re: [gnugo-devel] trevor_1_14.5

From: Daniel Bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] trevor_1_14.5
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 07:27:11 -0800

> The comment to the pattern is important. If the purpose is to limit
> the X eyespace on the bottom, descending or hane is much more severe,
> unless there's some serious problem with the cutting point at *. In
> fact we don't want to spend time and nodes on playing * at all if the
> cutting point is non-problematic.

Yes, the comment is important. Sometimes the sagari is better. But
often not.

> In any case I can propose one simple change to make the pattern more
> specific. We can replace the n classification with the constraint
>
> > ?.*Ox        connect
> > ..OXX
> > ..a..
> > -----
>
> oplay_attack(a,*,*)

This would rule out the pattern in many cases where escape
into the center is threatened. For example, if it looks like this:

...O..OO
..OXXXXO
--------

The solid connection is more likely to prevent escape.

BTW owl test 4 is now broke. I haven't figured out why.

Dan