Re: [gnugo-devel] atari_atari and restricted_defend1

From: Daniel Bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] atari_atari and restricted_defend1
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 22:52:37 -0800

Inge wrote:

> I see two ways of solving this problem:
>
> 1) Extend the restricted_ paradigm to include all attack and defense
>    functions.  The change would be very easy to do since it only
>    involves checking moves against a list before trying it. It would
>    also make the reading more general, but the question is wether this
>    would be useful in more places.
>
> 2) Extend attack() and find_defense() so that they can give *all*, or
>    at least a number of, working intersections instead of just one.
>    Then we can check all the suggested defenses and see if one of them
>    works.  I even think that this would remove the need for
>    restricted_* altogether, at least in atari_atari.
>
> I am interested in a discussion about this.  I will send the current
> state of my changes in my next mail if anybody wants to take a look at
> it.

I've put up a minor revision of this patch at:

http://www.gnu.org/software/gnugo/patches/inge_1_15.1a

This is a variation of the patch inge_1_146.1. It differs in that it
rejects a move that can be captured unless that move happens
to be atari. The rationale is that if the move can be captured
the move capturing it *might* be a defense. On the other hand
if it can't be captured, since it is known that it threatens
at least two strings, it is sente and there is a good chance
that even if it doesn't work it creates good aji.

I'm running the regressions now. It doesn't break anything
in atari_atari.tst, and it rejects the bogus move at move
146 in viking2.sgf while finding the correct one.

Dan