Re: [gnugo-devel] Half and false eye with ko.

From: Gunnar Farneback
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Half and false eye with ko.
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 22:08:51 +0100

Dan wrote:
> This is such an elegant and simple idea I'm surprised we didn't
> think of it before.

Unfortunately it might be somewhat more complicated. There's one flaw
which I didn't have time to cover in my previous message.

> If two of the diagonals are contingent on ko, I think the
> scheme still works. In other words .5 + .5 = 1.0 reflects the
> reality of the situation, for example when a group is alive
> by double ko.

Yes, this case seems to be fine. What's worse is the difference
between my case (b) and the modification (b') below

    .X..
(b) ..OO
    OO.O
    O.OO
    XOX.
    .X..

     .X..
(b') ..OO
     OO.O
     OXOO
     X.X.
     .X..

Notice that while (b') is a 2.5 topological eye, (b) is a real eye
regardless of ko. I actually had intended to have (b') in my last
message but mistakenly took the wrong diagram. I'm not sure how much
this complicates things, but it certainly makes the analysis more
messy.