Re: [gnugo-devel] fast liberties & patterns anchored in goal

From: Trevor Morris
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] fast liberties & patterns anchored in goal
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 14:09:40 -0500

At 08:54 AM 2/7/2002 -0800, Dan wrote:
>> Actually, I meant "the eventually created config.h", rather that
>> would be via config.h.in or config.vcin, etc.  The idea I had was
>> to add a line like "#undef NDEBUG" in config.h.in that could be
>> changed (via a configure option) to "#define NDEBUG".
>
>It seems to me that this only makes sense if you are
>building config.vc from configure.in by running autoheader.
>A few weeks ago as I recall Teun supplied an updated config.vc
>which he made this way, but this is not done frequently.
>
>Rather when we add an option we run autoheader then manually
>edit config.vc to add the option. Perhaps this is not what
>we should be doing, but I think this is what we have been
>doing.
The perl script I provided may be useful in making this
process a bit less awkward.  (BTW, can you un-DOSify the
line-ends from this file [makevcdist.pl]- sorry I submitted
it that way).

>So it seems to me your suggestion only makes sense if we are
>going to change this practice.
>
>Dan
This suggestion was intended to really be cross-platform, not
so much VC specific.  When running under VC, I blithely edit
config.h directly, since I never run configure (unless building
under cygwin), so config.vc (and config.vcin) rarely change.

The suggestion isn't really too critical, though, since we're
all agreed that NDEBUG is not a useful thing to define anyway.

-Trevor