Re: [gnugo-devel] Handtalk vs GnuGo: Game 1

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Handtalk vs GnuGo: Game 1
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 20:38:34 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Gunnar Farneback wrote:

> Jessie wrote:
> > Handtalk took white - and beat GnuGO by 16.5. SGF
> > is attached. Handtalk plays FAST (<1min total for all
> > moves vs 15 min total for GnuGO
>
> Thanks, these games are valuable. Some observations:
>
> 1. GNU Go was definitely in the match. I don't think Handtalk can win
> consistently against GNU Go 3.1.29.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Yes, 16 points is not much, compared
e.g. with the usual variation of results in GNU Go vs GNU Go games. But:

Where GNU Go gained a lot in the two local fights you mentioned, I'd say
there was also a bit of luck involved. OTOH, Handtalk consistently won
points by playing more efficiently. B17, B25, B27, B31, B45, B47, B51, B55,
B77 (almost a pass in fact; this move convinces me btw that we do need a
capping of the strategic effect), B103, B145, B183, B185 are all too slow;
Handtalk hardly made any such slow move.

I think GNU Go would need quite a big gain in a fight to win a game against
Handtalk (which does not seem impossible of course, just unlikely).

Arend