Re: [gnugo-devel] --experimental-semeai

From: bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] --experimental-semeai
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 10:40:53 -0700

> I just looked throught the --experimental-semai FAILs, and would like to
> cast a vote for making --experimental-semeai default.

There were two reasons I wasn't pushing this.

(1) We are losing on time already a lot on NNGS. Apparently the
engine is too slow on Gunnar's machine, especially with the
experimental connection code running.

(2) I think for correctness we are supposed to push and pop
the owl data. When I added this to the semeai code I was getting
crashes that I haven't been able to resolve yet. I can post a patch
later if anyone is interested in thinking about this.

> But a more important reason why I'd like to see it as default is: If
> GNU Go makes a semeai mistake (that can often cost a game) with
> --experimental-semeai, then we at least get s.th. to fix, instead of
> "hmm guess this wouldn't have happened with --experimental-semeai"...

I agree. Also, semeai is an interesting challenge.

Needless to say I would like to see the experimental semeai
code running also.

Dan