Re: [gnugo-devel] Report from the computer olympiad

From: Gunnar Farneback
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Report from the computer olympiad
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 09:32:42 +0200

Inge wrote:
> I have just played 2 rounds in the 19x19 go tournament.  The result so
> far is one win and one loss.  The win was against Ether, an extremely
> weak program whose moves make no sense whatsoever.

Did it manage to live with any stones?

> The loss was against Go Intellect, whose moves make somewhat more
> sense. :-)

Too bad, I had hoped we could win that game.

> The game against Go Intellect was lost with 19.5 points and was very
> exiting. I will try to send the game record later today. GNU Go
> started by defending somewhat badly against an invasion. Then the
> invading group got into trouble, but managed to escape. Gnugo had to
> run with a weak group, managed to save it and then abandoned it!
Sounds familiar. Probably an owl mistake.

> After that it came back pretty strongly with a huge moyo which
> solidified into territory. Go Intellect let GNU Go into its territory
> on one edge and GNU got quite a few points there.  Go Intellect also
> threw away about 10 points on pointless (!) moves.  According
> to Mr Chen, the author of Go Intellect, the program would not have
> done this if the position was close.
> At last, Go Intellect, invided the big moyo and tried to live but GNU
> defended nicely.  That is, except for letting Go Intellect have a ko
> for life, something that Go Intellect did not take advantage of.

Should be a good tuning game. I hope you find time to send the game

According to the Olympiad web pages at
we will have a second game against Go Intellect today. There's also
one 9x9 game against each of Go Intellect, Go4++, and Magog each day.
Quite a busy schedule, especially considering that Inge is also
participating in the Lines of Action tournament. I hope he can find
time to send any more reports at all. :-)

There's also a results section on the web pages, but that seems to be
rather partial and has some future games already filled. The "Games"
page is so far empty.