Re: [gnugo-devel] A GNUGO program with Windows GUI

From: Dave Denholm
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] A GNUGO program with Windows GUI
Date: 29 Jul 2002 11:19:01 +0100

<address@hidden> writes:

> >   I'm a Chinese programer and I'm interest in Go game.
> >   I have downloaded the source code of the GNUGO, and I
> >  encapsulated the GNUGO engin
> > into an independent DLL(window format), and a windows9x/2k/Xp
> >  based GO GUI provided also.
> >   Currently 0.1 beta is finished(the Go Engin is GNUGo3.0), they
> >  are in the Tar-ZIP package
> > file attached with this mail. You must unzip them into an
> >  directory before run the EXE file.
> >
> >   I hope you can give me some advise to lead me through the
> >  development of this program.
> > I think the GNU GO is a powerful GO engin, but most of the people
> >  are using computers based
> > on windows OS instead of UNIX/LINUX, which prevent them to play
> >  GNU GO. So, I think a GUI
> > interface is needed.
> >   This version is just a BETA version, and many bugs exist, I
> >  will clear them as fast as I
> > can when I find them, many functions are waiting to be finished
> >  also.
> >
> >   I name my program to Happy Go(this may change), whether I must
> >  name it to GNU GO for windows?
>
> Your program is welcome.
>
> GNU Go 3.2 is stronger than GNU Go 3.0.
>
> It is also possible to play GNU Go with the Java client Jago
> which gives a GUI.
>
> Since your program is based on GNU Go it is polite to tell
> the user know that. You can call it Happy Go.
>
> Important: the GNU Go license (GPL) requires that you if you
> distribute your program based on GNU Go then you MUST also
> distribute the source code. See the file COPYING for the
> GNU Go license. More information can be found at:

Maybe this is one of the grey areas. If I read the description correctly,
there is one change to gnugo to make it a dll, and then a separate
front end uses the dll.

The question is, is a front end using gnugo as a dll more integrated than a
front
end using gnugo via gmp or gtp ?

Eg could get round the restriction by making a replacement dll which does
speaks to gnugo via gtp, and the front end is none-the-wiser.

dd
--
address@hidden          http://www.insignia.com