Re: [gnugo-devel] matcher_status question

From: Evan Berggren Daniel
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] matcher_status question
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 23:18:38 -0400 (EDT)

OK, it looks like my program is working, now that I've had time and Perl
books available...

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 address@hidden wrote:

> > First, I think the result of the discussion about my matcher_status patch
> > was that, as implemented, it would only ever return states of ALIVE, DEAD
> > or CRITICAL, and never UNKNOWN.  however, I am getting all four.  Is this
> > a big with my code, or is something else going wrong?  it's fairly
> > repeatable -- just load up an early stage small game, and it'll show
> > UNKNOWNs.
>
> The matcher status is less likely to be UNKNOWN than the owl
> status is to be UNCHECKED, which is why I recommended using
> the matcher status than the owl status. In dragon.c around line 459
> we learn that if the owl status is UNCHECKED and the matcher
> status is DEAD or CRITICAL then the matcher status is made
> UNKNOWN.

OK then, I think the correct way to treat it is with the following list of
acceptable changes:

CRITICAL -> *
* -> CRITICAL
* -> UNKNOWN
UNKNOWN -> ALIVE
UNKNOWN -> CRITICAL

I'm unsure about this last one...  thoughts?

> > Second, for some unknown reason GNU Go isn't finishing it's games, I don't
> > think.  the sgf file attached is an example of such.  Any idea what's
> > going on?
>
> If I load this game, GNU Go generates a move at D8, which is the
> only move to make 2 eyes. If I load it with --color black then
> the move at E8 is generated. (Actually this lets W get a ko
> so F6 is a better move.)
>
> The SGF file ends with passes by both players, with W passing first.
>
> Which color is GNU Go?

GNU Go is both players...  that's what's so weird.  I'm using a modified
version of the twogtp_a script to play them against each other, btw.  I
didn't change the playing logic.

I'll post a copy of my script as soon as I fix the network on my laptop
with the script...