Re: [gnugo-devel] GNU Go 3.3.6

From: Gunnar Farneback
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] GNU Go 3.3.6
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 20:01:34 +0200

Evan wrote:
> so, any indication how much stronger it is than 3.3.5?  3.2?  is this
> something we traditionally check at point releases, or not really?

No, we usually don't although the information is potentially useful.
The problem is that in order to measure smallish incremental changes,
some 500 or so games need to be played before the statistics become
reliable. Obviously this requires a substantial amount of
computations, which is the main difficulty to overcome. At one time
Jerome Dumonteil did this kind of testing and the (now rather old)
results can still be found on the pages linked from the development
page.