Re: [gnugo-devel] GnuGo 3.2 port option

From: Sid Liu
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] GnuGo 3.2 port option
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 13:00:11 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Dan,

> What is UI?

UI - user interface.

> Could you explain a bit how having GNU Go listen
> to a port will help with WinCE?

In WinCE, all printf info are lost. In fact, all std
io info are lost. It goes to nowhere as WinCE is a
complete Windows environment. As small device becomes
more and more popular, it is quite convenient to be
able to play Go against one of the finest Go program
while waiting in the airport.

> Of course you can reimplement the pattern matcher as
> a non-default option if this is what you need to do
> to get it to run on a small machine, or even fork
> the
> program but I doubt if we are interested in changing
> the default pattern matcher to a different scheme if
> it turns out to be slower.

Forking the program is obviously a waste of resources.
I am not asking for a change right now in pattern
matching, just HOPING that both speed, flexibility and
extensibility can be achieved without using too much
resource (maybe by utilizing a small and fast
database?).

Sidney Liu