Re: [gnugo-devel] engine/influence.c (and DFA)

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] engine/influence.c (and DFA)
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 18:11:48 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Marco Scheurer wrote:

> Speaking of micro optimizations and speed/space trade offs, I've been
> wondering about these:
>
> - There are many bi-dimensional arrays. Would it make sense to replace
> them by pointers to pointers? Two indirections are supposed to be faster
> than the arithmetic needed to access elements in a bi-directional array.
> The syntax to read an element is the same, but some initialization code
> is needed.

I think in all performance relevant spots (maybe with the exception of
influence.c), we are using one-dimensional arrays since the
1D-transition by Gunnar and Inge early in 3.1.x.

Also, isn't chasing pointers supposed to be the worst possible you
can do the the cache? (I.e., most likely to result in cache misses.)

Arend