Re: HAVE_INLINE (Re: [gnugo-devel] engine/influence.c (and DFA))

From: Trevor Morris
Subject: Re: HAVE_INLINE (Re: [gnugo-devel] engine/influence.c (and DFA))
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 16:11:53 -0400

At 07:04 PM 9/3/2002 +0200, Arend Bayer wrote:
>On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Marco Scheurer wrote:
>
>> Speaking of micro optimizations and speed/space trade offs, I've been
>> wondering...
>
>I've been wondering about using inline. I guess all compilers that we
>care much about support inline as an extension. Hence we could write
>a configure test to define HAVE_INLINE or s.th. (similar to
>HAVE_VARIADIC_...), and then do
>
>Thoughts?
>(The GCC manual suggests using __inline__ for ANSI-conformant use of
>inline. I have no idea how portable that would be.)

I'm all in favor of replacing the macros w/ GG_INLINE function calls.
Note, however, for Microsoft VC++:
  The compiler cannot inline a function if:
     * The function has a variable argument list.
     * The program takes the address of the function.

In particular, replacing the TRACE macros w/ inline functions is
probably not a good idea.

Though, I believe the following construct may work for the TRACE
macros on all platforms:

#define TRACE  (!verbose) ? (void)0 : gprintf

(Originally suggested by Dave Denholm in:
http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/gnugo-devel/2002-February/001511.html )

-Trevor