Re: [gnugo-devel] engine/influence.c

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] engine/influence.c
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 14:47:26 +0200 (CEST)

Teun wrote:
> Arend wrote:
>
> > In my opinion 10% is already too much time for this function.
>
> Would it be possible to cast the influence spreading in the form
> of a 2-D partial differential equation, for instance heat diffusion?
> Spreading translates into diffusion. Permeability in position dependent
> conductivity.

I agree that it could be done, and also that it could be much faster.
However, you won't get to reproduce the current behaviour (e.g. there is
no way to have influence sources with different attenuation), so you would
have to retune the territory valuation.

> An extra bonus is that the solution of a partial differential equation
> is orientation independent as opposed to the current influence
> spreading.
I wouldn't worry about that (at least not as long as there are other
orientation dependant parts in the engine). Also after we fix the bug
found by Dave, the orientation dependance will be pretty rare I think.

Arend