Re: [gnugo-devel] 9 stone games

From: Gunnar Farneback
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] 9 stone games
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 17:02:33 +0200

Dan wrote:
> Two elements of the patch may need discussion. I raised
> the value of j patterns to 27. This is a guess and maybe
> it's too high.

I'm frequently finding that the current 24 is too high. There are lots
of j patterns which simply aren't worth that much.

> Also the randomization has been increased. I see no harm
> in this but maybe it needs discussion.

Yes, it's very likely harmful. There is fine tuning (the string
connection bonus) which for late endgame moves is significant down to
differences of about 0.02.

A better solution if the randomness needs to be increased for specific
moves would be to introduce a mechanism for this purpose. I'm thinking
along the line of having a randomness_scaling field in the move data
which initializes to 1 and can be modified (increased) from patterns
through a helper or action line.

Btw, have you run the regressions for this patch?