Re: [gnugo-devel] How to use GnuGo non-locally?

From: bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] How to use GnuGo non-locally?
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 11:32:07 -0800

Ralph Dratman wrote:

> Thank you for your reply. Since I am not authorized to post directly
> to the list, I'm sending this reply to you and hope you will post it
> if appropriate.

Even though you are not subscribed, mail from you to address@hidden or
address@hidden will get through. It will reach the list a bit more
slowly than if you subscribed because the list is spam filtered and moderated.

> Does the NNGS documentation also explain how to set up GnuGo for
> unattended operation, such that a user on another computer can sign
> on and have a game with GnuGo, preferably without operator
> intervention at the server? Or should I be looking at Gnugoclient?

You would need both the NNGS server code and gnugoclient. Gnugoclient
requires Pike.

There are two versions of the NNGS server source. One was hacked
on extensively by Adriaan van Kessel and Nils Lohner. This is not
the version that is running on NNGS. I'm not sure whether any
of the NNGS clones are running this code or not. But it might be
the best place to start.

> The problem is that I don't know where to go for this basic setup
> information. If you or someone can just point me to the appropriate
> documentation (even if crude), I should be fine.

I think you must look in the relevant tarballs for documentation.
There is brief documentation in the gnugoclient-2.0 tarball.

I'd say download nngs-1.1.14 from Sourceforge:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/nngs/

and see if you can get the server running. Then try to get
gnugoclient-2.0 running.

Dan