Re: [gnugo-devel] unsigned bug in semeai code

From: Gunnar Farneback
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] unsigned bug in semeai code
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 20:43:03 +0100

Arend wrote:
> This seems to be a serious bug in do_owl_analyze_semeai to me:
>
>     /* FIXME: This is kind of quick and dirty. */
>     probable_eyes_a.b -= matches_found;
>
> proable_eyes_a.b is an unsigned char.
>
> (Haven't checked the effects of fixing this yet.)

Quick, dirty, and buggy. But it has been fixed recently in the main
branch (you are apparently looking in the SPEC branch). Now only quick
and dirty are left (hopefully).

> Curiously, this is also almost the only time that the struct eyevalue is
> directly accessed outside the helper functions in optics.c designed to
> do this (set_eyevalue() and friends).

That's the dirty part. I'm certain there's a better way to handle the
eyespace estimates in the semeai code, but I didn't want to let that
hold up the conversion to the current eyespace value paradigm.