[gnugo-devel] removing Shape[12] patterns results

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: [gnugo-devel] removing Shape[12] patterns results
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 20:22:43 +0200

we had a short discussion about those patterns on nngs yesterday.
Arend suggested trying to remove the patterns. here are the results:

./regress.sh . trevorb.tst
260 unexpected PASS!
./regress.sh . nngs.tst
210 unexpected FAIL: Correct 'P11', got 'P12'
./regress.sh . 13x13.tst
65 unexpected FAIL: Correct 'H4', got 'L4'
./regress.sh . nngs3.tst
780 unexpected PASS!
1080 unexpected PASS!
./regress.sh . gunnar.tst
3 unexpected PASS!
13 unexpected FAIL: Correct 'Q5|Q12', got 'O13'
./regress.sh . 13x13b.tst
43 unexpected PASS!

in all passed tests Shape1 pattern matched where it shouldn't. maybe
a better constraint can fix that. all fails look quite unrelated to
shape values as well. so, in the tests which we have in regression
suite, Shape[12] patterns don't look necessary, sometimes they only
make the things worse. on the other hand, i can't say for sure that
they don't play a good role overall.

if we don't remove the patterns, we should come up with a better
constraint.

Paul