Re: [gnugo-devel] Wrong kenuki

From: Gunnar Farneback
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Wrong kenuki
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 20:19:17 +0100

SP Lee wrote:
> When the opponent cuts the gnugo's two stones, so that two black and two
> white stones are cutting each other, the gnugo should never make kenuki. Yet
> I found gnugo often pleyed somewhere else, and let the opponent take big
> advantage. In 99% cases (even for professional players), the only choice now
> is atari or nobi, although the subsequent variations are huge.
>
> I don't know if the program can treat this as a special case.Anyway I think
> this is a big weak point of gnugo.

It could certainly be treated as a special case, but it's not an
attractive solution. One major problem with such an approach is to
identify positions where it is correct to play tenuki after all.
Not all crosscuts have to be large (even though they often are) and
it may well be correct to ignore a crosscut when it's played as a ko
threat.

As Evan wrote, test cases examplifying the problem are very valuable,
both when looking for a solution and to verify that an implementation
works.