Re: [gnugo-devel] hoshi josekis

From: Evan Berggren Daniel
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] hoshi josekis
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 16:10:23 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, Gunnar Farneback wrote:

> > +(;B[tt];W[nd]
> > +C[U
> > +#applicable in isolation or if b makes a pincer on the right
> > +]
>
> Looking at nngs4:540 I can say that this is not an appropriate U
> pattern. In hoshi.db the pattern looks like this:

I was just noticing that.  The reasoning behind the U classification was
that the double high kakari is a very severe attack, and should tend to be
valued higher than a simple approach or pincer or extension elsewhere.
The simplest way to do this seemed to be to upgrade it to a U pattern.

I actually think this is a case where a J pattern is appropriate in the
case of tenuki; perhaps the simplest route though is to mark it as j and
not worry about it until gnugo has a generally more sophisticated
understanding of joseki.

Evan Daniel