Re: [gnugo-devel] How to teach gnugo wonderful tesujis?

From: Evan Berggren Daniel
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] How to teach gnugo wonderful tesujis?
Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 04:14:07 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 4 May 2003, Arend Bayer wrote:

> Hmm. This is might not a majority opinion on this list, but I don't like
> pattern driven approaches too much if there is an alternative.

I tend to agree, but I think patterns have two big advantages:

They're fast, as compared to complex algorithms.  At least, they are if
the reading constraints are simple.

They're easy to understand.  If a pattern based thing like the owl reader
isn't seeing a move, the solution is simple and obvious:  add a pattern,
or change an existing one.  If something else isn't seeing a move, it is
harder to see the solution.  Personally, I think ease of tuning and
debugging is important.

I think that patterns have a major disadvantage in that creative moves are
hard to find with them, and another major one in that it is easy for the
program to be missing large numbers of important patterns.  Some sort of
automated pattern search might help with the latter, but I don't think
it's obvious how to write one.

My favored approach is a combination of the two.  I think finding some
sorts of owl moves using patterns like we currently do is reasonable,
though perhaps requires too much work on the part of the people tuning
things.  I think we also need to do more with finding algorithmic moves,
eg looking for connections during owl reading.

Evan Daniel