Re: [gnugo-devel] Offer to help

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Offer to help
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 02:42:58 -0400

Louis DeFiore wrote:
> I am a C/C++ programmer with a lot of free time on my hands (unemployed
> right now - so what else is new ;) ) and volunteering to help with
> GnuGo.  First time I've worked on a open source project; not sure where
> to go from here.  Am willing to debug as a starter; at any rate, let me
> know how I can fit in.

to participate in the project you'll need to assign copyright to the
Free Software Foundation ( htpp://www.gnu.org/ ). this means the code
will be copyrighted by the FSF, not by you. are you willing to do this?

if you don't have any objections on copyright issues, you may start
working. as Evan pointed out the easiest way to do something useful is
to do some tuning on our pattern databases. if you want to practice
your c/c++ skills, you should starting reading through the engine. a
good place to start might be engine/reading.c.

you should also become familiar with the GTP as it is the main way of
working with gnu go. it is very straightforward. the list of commands,
their descriptions and parameters can be found in interface/play_gtp.c
(see commands[] array and comments before functions). you can also
type `help' or `list_commands' in a GTP session, but that only lists
names without parameters.

the doc/ subdirectory contains a lot of documentations, but a large
part of it is quite out of date. it still may be helpfull. there is a
TODO list, but it is not very up to date either.

Paul