Re: [gnugo-devel] doc patch

From: Gunnar Farneback
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] doc patch
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2003 01:56:00 +0200

Arend wrote:
> A couple of comments on the current docs, sorted to be increasingly
> polemic :-)
> - incremental.texi should be part of board.texi

Sounds reasonable.

> - "Pattern Based Reading" should be called "Life and Death Reading"

Yes, assuming this is in the context of the owl code. (Btw the owl
reading is only partially pattern based, which is also the case for
the atari_atari reading.)

> - The technical chapters on API, handling SGF trees, and the board
>   library should be moved more to the end.

Agreed.

> - I still think we should kill the lists of functions, that only
>   reproduce the comments from the source code. Or is anyone using them
>   now?

Agreed. For my part I have never used them and I find them annoying
since they make the docs so much longer and they are a pain to update.

> - The "Move Generation" chapter still needs to be adapted to the fact
>   that we now have an overview chapter (I.e. kill most of the first two
>   pages.)

Sounds okay.

> - The need of a chapter "Detailed Sequence of Events" in overview.texi
>   (which is not yet updated) just reflects the fact that the functions
>   make_worms and make_dragons are _far_ too long -- if the lengthy
>   loops etc. in there would be broken out into separate functions, one
>   could get the sequence of events immediately from looking at the
>   source.

That is probably correct.

> The biggest gap in the docs is s.th. on readconnect.c.

Oh, another piece of bad conscience for me then.