Re: [gnugo-devel] Critical dragons and cache problem

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Critical dragons and cache problem
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 10:33:15 +0200 (CEST)

Evan wrote:
> I think step 1 is to begin collecting regression test cases for the
> problem.  Since you have a few, perhaps you could start :)  If you're not
> interested, I can do it.
>
> The way to do this would be to create a new file cache.tst.  You then need
> to create the tests so as to set up the incorrect cache.  To do this, load
> to the position a move before you wish to test, run the commands
> owl_attack and owl_defend on the relevant dragon to get the old data in
> the cache, then load to the position you wish to test and proceed as
> normal.  I haven't tested this, but it should work.

This might work, but it could also be a little fragile. An alternative
way is to use the following benchmark: Simply compare the results of
game replays with and without using the persistent cache, and count the
number of deviations (in a sufficiently big number of games).

This, plus performance figures for the same games, should be good
quality measurement for the persistent cache.

Arend