Re: [gnugo-devel] Publishing manual for GNU Go

From: Lisa M. Opus Goldstein
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Publishing manual for GNU Go
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 10:52:10 -0400

address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:
> The latest edition is 3.4. It is in the gnugo-3.4 tarball
> (which is now at ftp.gnu.org).

I will take a look - thanks for the pointer.

> I sort of doubt that it is appropriate to publish it as a book.
> The program is very much in flux so the documentation becomes
> quickly out of date.

Will an older version of the manual be so out of date as to be
unusable after 1 year?  Two years?

I can plan for a shorter reprinting schedule if needed, depending on
the needs of the program.  Normally I try to publish a book for 2-3
years; however there are some books that are republished after one
year because of extensive program changes.

> Moreover the market for it will be rather small.

Actually, I am surprised that you say that.  There is a huge market
for classical games, especially programs at a high level.  By
distributing the book with binaries (including a Windoes version), I
think it will bring the program to the attention of people who
otherwise would never find out about it.

However, I am not familiar with the "Go universe". Is there already a
widely commercially available program in bookstores that GNU Go would
be going head-to-head with?

-Opus

--
Lisa M. Goldstein           address@hidden