[gnugo-devel] trying to debug GNUGo

From: max-d
Subject: [gnugo-devel] trying to debug GNUGo
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 10:53:53 +0100

about the following game ...
after move 207 , the R8 dragon is said to be dead (which is true)
Gnugo then plays white 208 L9.

A/

If we ask it about 208 K8 it says :

"Move at K8 cuts J8 and K7
(which is obviously wrong !)
Move at K8 cuts K9 and K7
Move at K8 cuts K9 and J8
(which is obviously wrong !)
Move at K8 strategically or tactically unsafe"
(which is obviously true !)

it seems that the responsable is

pattern CC32

?X.        double break
O*X
?X.

:-,-

?ca
O*d
?eb

;oplay_defend_both(*,a,b,*,b) && oplay_defend_both(*,b,a,*,a)

>add_cut_move(c,d);
>add_cut_move(c,e);
>add_cut_move(d,e);

btw :
1/the constraint diagram does not respect the conventions here.
2/in GNUGo doc it is said (autohelper actions)

add_cut_move(c,d);
Add to the move reasons that the move at * threatens to cut c and d.

So it seems to me that there is contradiction between
"threatening to cut" and "cutting"

B/
if we force GNUGo to play 208 K8 (like in the file)
then the R8 dragon turns to be alive
(i would propose that GNUGo thinks more time when a dragon status pass from
dead to alive in a row .
I said that because :
1-i think it should first have the critical status (but maybe i'm
absolutly wrong )
2- even at level 20 ,GNUGo plays all these moves in less than 3 seconds)

after 208 K8 ,GNUGo as black also plays L9 despite the fact it says :
"Move at J7 vital eye point for eye M6" ...
but it just add
"J7: 4.00 - change in territory"

md

(;RU[Japanese]SZ[19]HA[0]KM[5.5]