Re: [gnugo-devel] Patch: improve separation of similarly-valued moves

From: Heikki Levanto
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Patch: improve separation of similarly-valued moves
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 18:04:17 +0200

On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 12:46:42PM +0200, Inge Wallin wrote:
> There is a TODO item to implement "playing styles".  This could be
> something similar, but I don't like such random randomness. :-)  The
> randomness must be tightly controlled.

I think those are separate issues. We need some randomness for
interesting play, whereas playing style could be done by adding small
bonuses to aggressive, defensive, or territorial move reasons. In time
those could also be encoded in the joseki database (play this if you
want to get into a fighting game).

Of course, if we had the playing styles, we could get randomness by
switching styles in between moves. That would lead to inconsistent, but
otherwise sound, play.

Most testing should, of course, be done without this randomness. Except
for the tests that check for the random effects and their
distributions...

-Heikki

--
Heikki Levanto   "In Murphy We Turst"     heikki (at) lsd (dot) dk