Re: [gnugo-devel] major `view.pike' revision

From: Gunnar Farnebäck
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] major `view.pike' revision
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2004 01:27:14 +0200

> First one question: there are lots of `static' modifiers across
> the script and many of them seem to be out of place (like the
> first: `static object engine').  As far as I know, `static' in
> Pike is the same as in C, in the engine case this means that all
> instances of `SimpleGtp' will share a single engine, which is
> not what we want, right?

I assume you mean C++ rather than C. But no, static in Pike does not
mean the same thing. It's closer to protected in C++. In this specific
case it means that the engine variable can only be reached from
methods in the class, not by direct indexing of an object. See
http://pike.ida.liu.se/docs/tutorial/oop/access_control.xml
for more information.

> So, are you (Gunnar? Arend?) sure that those `static' modifiers are
> there for good?

Yes, if anything there should be more of them.

> I also fixed some bugs in the script.  For instance, some labels
> were aligned incorrectly (one should have used `set_alignment'
> instead of `set_justify').

That's great. I basically had no idea what I was doing when I wrote
the GTK code, so it was mostly hit and miss in the manual.