Re: [gnugo-devel] gnugo

From: aquarius
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] gnugo
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 00:52:20 +0200

Hi,

Gunnar Farnebäck wrote:
The kgsGtp documentation says [...]
Later in the documentation about playing ranked games it also says
this:

7 If the engine and the human disagree on the status of living and
  dead stones at the end of the game, one of two things will happen:
  If the game uses non-Japanese rules and the engine supports the
  kgs-genmove_cleanup command, then the engine will recommend that the
  human press "undo", after which the engine will get
  kgs-genmove_cleanup commands until it passes. If the game uses
  Japanese rules or the engine does not support kgs-genmove_cleanup,
  then the engine will simply refuse to score the game unless the
  human agrees.

This section seems to be pretty ambiguous about
the responsibilities of the engine and kgsGtp.

Since the game was played with Japanese rules I think it's pretty safe
to say that there is a bug in kgsGtp.

If William Shubert agrees to this thinking (and I think he will for
cheat-safety reasons and for keeping the engine simple) he should
perhaps put section 7 more clearly:

"... then _kgsGtp_ will recommend ..."
and
"... then _kgsGtp_ will simply refuse to
score the game unless the human agrees
_to_the_score_given_by_the_engine."

No offense meant;
in the hope this will be useful