Re: [gnugo-devel] improving bug reports

From: Gunnar Farnebäck
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] improving bug reports
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 02:59:42 +0200

aquarius wrote:
> Why not include the random seed and level in the SGF
>   - just as the ascii mode save command does?
> This way nobody would accidently omit this information when cutting the
> debug output since the random seed is only in the last two lines now
> and level is never shown by now.

I'm not worried about the random seed. People have been pretty good at
sending in that part of the message. The level is omitted mostly for
technical reasons; abortgo() is part of the board library, level is
not. This can of course be solved but the question is whether it's
worth the trouble. If we do we should probably dump a couple of other
variables as well.

> Or go one step further and make the header of the SGF look exactly
> like the one of the save command ... ? Or even include the whole
> assertion failure and showboard output inside a GC node in the SGF ... ?
> So one could save the whole bunch as an sgf file.

That's extra complexity for no gain. If you save the whole message in
a file it can already be read in as is by GNU Go's sgf parser.

> N.B. I'm sure you mean "intended" rather than "This is only attended as a
>       stand-alone debug tool" in the introducing comment of dump_board_sgf.

Indeed, thanks.