Re: [gnugo-devel] Latest news from the Olympiad

From: Gunnar Farnebäck
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Latest news from the Olympiad
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 05:23:02 +0200

Jan wrote:
> Today was the final day of the Computer Olympiad. GNUGo played against
> DumbGo on 9x9 and Indigo on 19x19 board winning both games.

Good.

> Yesterday's unfinished game was decided by the Jury to the favour of
> Indigo,

Annoying, but mostly because GNU Go misread. It would still be
interesting to know how the jury reasoned.

Question to the list: In future tournaments with area scoring, should
we run with --play-out-aftermath to avoid similar incidents? For those
who don't know, --play-out-aftermath would make GNU Go play on until
all own living stones except seki are unconditionally alive and all
dead opponent stones are unconditionally dead (or captured).
Unconditionally alive and dead in this context means that they would
remain alive/dead even if the opponent is allowed an arbitrary number
of consecutive moves.

> so GNUGo finished having 3 points out of 8 and 4th place out of 5 in
> 19x19 tournament.

Definitely a catastrophe. We have much tuning to do here.

> 9x9 tournament went much better, GNUGo was sharing the 1st
> place with Go Intellect,

Surprising considering how many games GNU Go lost, but apparently the
results were overall very inconsistent.

> but unfortunately lost both of the games in
> playoff (even though I used level 15), so its final standing is the 2nd.

In fact GNU Go lost all 6 games it played against Go Intellect. I
wonder if Go Intellect has received significant tuning against GNU Go.