Re: [Quarry-dev] Re: [gnugo-devel] view.pike tweak

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: Re: [Quarry-dev] Re: [gnugo-devel] view.pike tweak
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 16:33:32 +0300

Arend wrote:
> > Speaking of which, you can use Quarry for this.  I believe that
> > viewing is _much more_ pleasant with Quarry, since it supports
> > lots of keyboard and mouse wheel shortcuts for navigating game
> > tree.  Missing from a viewer are game information (apart from
>
> (Btw, cgoban also has a lots of keyboard shortcuts.)

It does, but when a focus slips to the comment window, they become
useless (at least I don't know how to get it back).  In Quarry you
can Shift-Tab it back, and even without that you can use Alt
modifier.  Also, I didn't know about Shift-Left/Right in Cgoban
before (just checked now, wanted to praise Quarry's PgUp/PgDown).

> Minor comments:
> 1. Why not unmodified "Up" and "down" for switching variations? They are
> unused in this situation as far as I can see? (If the comment field does
> not have focus.)

They are used.  Quarry simply treats variations differently than Cgoban.
Variations are considered "alternatives to the current (last played) move"
as opposed to Cgoban's "different possibilities for the next (not yet
played) move".  In Quarry you can also see non-pass variations marked
with small semi-transparent stones on board.  As an additional shortcut,
you can right-click on such a stone to switch to that variation.

> 2. A variation tree window like in cgoban would be really really nice :)

Yes, but not exactly easy to code, so I postpone it while I have more
important things to implement.

Paul