Re: [gnugo-devel] endgame module for GNU Go

From: Xavier Combelle
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] endgame module for GNU Go
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 01:35:35 +0200

Eric wrote:

By "work", what I mean is that I want a champion,
human Go player to value and enjoy playing GNU Go, and
not just have it as a curiosity for novices.

You have great expectations. If gnugo could only play in the same style as a beginner, he should be useful, but today, it only learn them how to play with bad mives

As an artificial intelligence engineer, I am sickened
by the many articles that have been written which make
the claim that computers will never be able to play a
decent game of Go. And I aim to put a stop to them.

Humm...  I already heard a lot of story about new commers
in computer go who realize that go is significant harder
than a lot of other programming job.
For me who is quite bad at go, I consider that go is a work
of exponantial complexity, so I am pleased to learn go, but
I consider that programming is all but easy. Even becoming pro
seems to be more reallist for me. (more reallist, not reallist at all)

Also, Deep Blue (or Big Blue, or whatever is the name
of it) didn't help the reputation of AI either by
massively storing and doing look-up of all the chess
moves, and then calling it an AI approach.
The point is that massive storing and looking is not very easy in go. So the job
would be hard to feed the AI.

Because
it's not. Procedural programming is not AI. They will
never be able to try that trick with the game of Go.
There are way more possibilities than in chess.
Of course it's a good place to test AI, and some people try it.
But it seems that procedural programs are strongers than AI, for the moment.

Similarly, GNU Go will never conquer the game of Go by
relying exclusively on a procedural, pattern matching
approach. It's a nice start, and it is impressive how
far you folks have gotten with it. But it aint gonna
get the job done.
Conquer game of go? I hope you know what conquest is about, just because
go players are quite aware what strategy is about, so, make sure that conquest is part
of strategy of gnugo.