Re: [gnugo-devel] TCP/IP connection built into GNU Go?

From: Dave Denholm
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] TCP/IP connection built into GNU Go?
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 10:31:12 +0100

Gunnar Farnebäck <address@hidden> writes:

> Paul wrote:
>>      $ ./interface/gnugo --mode gtp --gtp-listen 127.0.0.1:5000
>
> Hm, I thought you usually just listened to a port, without specifying
> any particular IP address.

You can specify an address. Usually, one uses 0.0.0.0 which means any
interface.

$ netstat -a

shows listening sockets, and, on my machine, most are * but some are
explicit addresses.

Listening only on 127.0.0.1 means that only local processes can
connect.

>> The problem is that when you type `quit' and then try to make GNU Go
>> listen on the same port again, it won't work. The system says the
>> port is still in use. It gets released in about a minute (on my
>> machine.) Clearly, something is not being closed, but I don't
>> understand what it is. I doubt it could be a problem in `telnet'.

That's a standard feature of sockets. If you run   netstat  after
closing the connection, it will be in state TIME_WAIT (if it was
closed cleanly)

When you open the socket, you can specify an option (can;t remember
detail off-hand - might be REUSE_ADDR  or LINGER)

ISTR MS use REUSE_PORT rather than REUSE_ADDR ?

Incidentally (from elsewhere in the thread) I have solaris, and will
try to get round to testing this sometime.

dd
--
Dave Denholm              <address@hidden>       http://www.esmertec.com