Re: [gnugo-devel] Gnugo in KidsDomain

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Gnugo in KidsDomain
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 23:05:15 +0300

SP LEE wrote:

> By chance I have seen gnugo appeared in the website
> I also see the text "
> License: free to try, $5 to register ". I wonder what this $5 means. Is
> gnugo supposed to be a free software?

At the first glance they are in GPL-violation as there is no source
code (visible) nor even proper copyright & license information.

However, asking money is not itself a violation.  They can even sell
non-modified GNU Go (i.e. get a tarball from and start
selling it---that's legal.)  Everything depends on the way their
interface works with GNU Go and the apparent lack of license

Not sure if we should bother.  Maybe someone could drop a message
to, there was a mailbox for potential license violation
somewhere.  Not me in any case.