Re: [gnugo-devel] cvs of 12-10-2004: mkpat crash for mingw version

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] cvs of 12-10-2004: mkpat crash for mingw version
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 01:33:12 +0300

Gunnar wrote:
> I assume this means that there's memory read out of bounds. For the
> record this only applies to mainline CVS but not to 3.6-pre2. There is
> no relevant diff in mkpat.c between these versions but after copying
> over the more recent owl_attackpats.dtr from 3.6-pre2 the problem went
> away.
>
> Paul, does this make sense?

This does make sense, but it is not a proper fix.  Simply with another
`.dtr' file you are building a different DFA, so the bug may simply be
not triggered this time.  As far as I remember,  the last change that
could cause this behavior was the DFA shuffle improvement by Arend.
Maybe he could track the bug down.

BTW, can anyone summarize the open problems we have with the 3.6
branch?  It is hanging around for quite a while already.

Paul