Re: [gnugo-devel] GTP sometimes fails

From: bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] GTP sometimes fails
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 08:05:42 -0800

> I'm connecting to gnugo 3.6 using GTP: using pipes from C++. When
> running my unit tests, they sometimes work fine, but sometimes they
> fail. If it fails it seems to be on the first command I send after
> successfully connecting.

I had to debug problems like this when I wrote the metamachine
code that is distributed with GNU Go. (This is the oracle.c code.)

Probably what is happening is that both programs are waiting
for the pipe. Each thinks they've sent a response and is waiting
for a reply. See:

http://www.toonopedia.com/alphgast.htm

To debug this type of problem, try attaching gdb to the running
processes.  Then you can find out what is happening. Look in the
gdb info manual in the node ``Debugging an already running
process.''

Dan