Re: [gnugo-devel] switching to multiple boards

From: Dave Denholm
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] switching to multiple boards
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 16:01:39 +0100

Paul Pogonyshev <address@hidden> writes:

> Dave Denholm wrote:
>
>> > If we go at it, we should probably create a CVS branch (or will
>> > that be a Subversion branch?), since the task seems to be _very_
>> > large and the multi-board version will be in non-working state for
>> > (very) long time.  For the start, it is absolutely necessary to
>> > make `libboard' compile and at this stage cooperation is hardly
>> > possible.  Later, it will be possible that several of us work on
>> > separate modules, converting them more or less independently.
>>
>> Can it be done incrementaly by using #define to map an existing name
>> to an element in the global structure ?
>
> I doubt.  You cannot do something like
>
> #define board (game->board)
>
> because of the infinite loop.  We could use different names for the
> fields, though.  Anyway, it generally looks like a very unclean solution
> to me.

I vaguely recall that cpp spots such loops.

$ cat > fred.c
#define board x->board
board
$ gcc -C -E fred.c
# 1 "fred.c"

x->board
$

I was suggesting it only as means of allowing an incremental approach,
rather than a long-term solution.

dd
--
Dave Denholm              <address@hidden>       http://www.esmertec.com