Re: [gnugo-devel] Level of SlugGo

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Level of SlugGo
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 21:27:43 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005, David G Doshay wrote:

> Some of it could be the difference between 3.6 and 3.7.x. We use 3.6 at level
> 10, but I do not know the default playing level of GNU Go on KGS. We also
> originally put SlugGo up on KGS with a bug that had just been introduced to
> the code (part of a quick hack to allow reasonable play on small boards), and
> at first SlugGo's rating dropped below 16 k before climbing back after we
> fixed it. On KGS they are both very close to 13k, GNU Go about 1/2 better,
> SlugGo about 0.2 lower. I think that they will get closer as more games build
> up.

I think much of it will be the fact that SlugGo plays at slower time
settings. When you compare the rank of different GNU Go bots on KGS, you
will find that usually those playing at faster time settings will have
higher ranking, since their opponents will make a lot more blunders that
a computer can easiliy exploit.

Arend