Re: [gnugo-devel] Libboard as a dynamically shared library?

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Libboard as a dynamically shared library?
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 02:59:34 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006, Paul Pogonyshev wrote:

> Arend wrote:
>
> > I think libboard as a shared library would be useful, and if someone knows
> > better than me how to do that, we could add it as a Makefile target.
>
> I don't really think so.  Shared libraries are meant to be general-purpose
> with stable API.  libboard is certainly specifically crafted for GNU Go's
> purposes and lacks generality.

I disagree. Most of the functionality of libboard is very basic and
should generally be useful for any go program.

Certainly it is optimized specificallly for GNU Go (and the komaster
machinery might not be everyone's choice).

Btw, even when compiling GNU Go alone, having libboard as a shared library
would save disc space :)

Arend