Re: [gnugo-devel] Fwd: [computer-go] April KGS on-line computer Go tourn

From: David G Doshay
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Fwd: [computer-go] April KGS on-line computer Go tournament
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 13:26:00 -0700

On 3, May 2006, at 12:50 PM, Evan Daniel wrote:

I have observed this same effect in metamachine games with GoFigure --
even numbers of branched plies do worse than odd numbers.  I would
expect something like 8-4-2 to play better than 8-8.  I think the
problem basically arises from which side you "force" to make mistakes
that GNU Go thinks are good moves first.  With 2 branching plies,
SlugGo is the player making mistakes first.

We did try 8-3-2, which played worse than l3 or 88, although it
may not have converged yet. It played as slugGo_B32.

At that time we were letting others use the cluster, and this was
as many CPUs as we had for playing Go. We can try this experiment
again now that the whole cluster is available to us.

Cheers,
David