Re: [gnugo-devel] First Monte Carlo code ready for inclusion

From: Gunnar Farnebäck
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] First Monte Carlo code ready for inclusion
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 21:14:52 +0100

Ben Lambrechts wrote:

>> What command line options are you using, more exactly?
>
> tcl.exe cgos3.tcl GnuCvs-1-MC ***** "gnugoMC.exe --mode gtp --cache-size
> 512 --chinese-rules --level 1 --capture-all-dead --monte-carlo"
> tcl.exe cgos3.tcl GnuCvs-10-MC ***** "gnugoMC.exe --mode gtp
> --cache-size 512 --chinese-rules --level 10 --capture-all-dead
> --monte-carlo"

Ok, I sort of suspected that. The only practical difference between
these is that the first will start out at level 1 and play the first
few moves a little faster until it reaches level 10. This may be
slightly beneficial since the first few moves usually come from the
fuseki database anyway and the time saved can be better used later. On
the other hand it can't be very much time since move generation in the
fuseki is rather fast.

To reduce the span of levels that the time management is allowed to
use, you need to set --max-level (default 10) and/or --min-level
(default 0) options. The proper change above is to add "--max-level 1"
for GnuCvs-1-MC.

Additionally, on CGOS you should use --positional-superko to avoid
occasional losses for illegal moves. If you want debug output of the
level changes done by the time management, add "-d0x4000000".

For maximum 9x9 strength you should also change MAX_BOARD in
engine/board.h to 9 and rebuild, then set --mc-games-per-level as high
as you can afford without the level dropping frequently due to
shortage of time.