Re: [gnugo-devel] unaccurate evaluation

From: Gunnar Farnebäck
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] unaccurate evaluation
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 10:43:03 +0200

thierry banel wrote:
> Hi Gnu Go team.
>
> Attached is an sgf game I've just played.
> The game is over (no more stone to add).
> GnuGo makes a (very) wrong evaluation.
>
> The command line is:
> gnugo --quiet --never-resign --score finish --level 20 buggy-eval.sgf
> (--level does not matter)
>
> GnuGo says:
> 326 black (X) move : PASS!
> 327 white (O) move : PASS!
> Black wins by 15.5 points
> Result from file: W+7.5
> GNU Go result and result from file are different
>
> GnuGo version:
> 3.6-3mdv2007.0

For best accuracy you should use the somewhat slower "--score
aftermath" option instead of "--score finish", especially with GNU Go
3.6. This gets the correct score. For current development versions
"--score finish" tend to do better but in this particular case it
produces the surprising score of W+15.4.