Re: [gnugo-devel] Gnugo manual: --level suggestion

From: Daniel Bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Gnugo manual: --level suggestion
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 13:02:39 -0800

> Both the manual http://www.gnu.org/software/gnugo/gnugo_3.html#SEC35
> and man page simply say that the --level option defaults to 10 and
> that smaller is weaker. This to my mind underspecifies what the
> options are. Are negative numbers sensible? gnugo still runs:
> [09:17 AM] 525Mb$ gnugo --level -1 -l cledo-gwern-552577-20100224.sgf
> black (X) move L5

Negative levels are not really supported. However there is some
improvement in strength past level 10. Processors are faster
now and sometimes GNU Go has been run at level 12 in tournaments.
I think there are cases at around level 18 when GNU Go did not
seem to terminate and make a move in a reasonable amount of
time.

Daniel Bump