Re: [Charter modification proposal]: Deleting the requirement to renew m

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Charter modification proposal]: Deleting the requirement to renew membership each year
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 22:00:15 +0100

Davi Leal <address@hidden> wrote:
> Rationale:  Unnecessary bureaucracy.
>
> Proposed modifications at:
>   http://gnuherds.org/charter#Membership

The proposal replaces "Memberships will be on a yearly basis. Even
though membership is free of charge membership must be renewed." with
"Membership is free of charge and do not have to be renewed."

I think that's a bad idea.  I've seen it cause problems elsewhere: for
example, SPI currently has too many idle members because it hasn't
been renewing memberships.  That's just getting fixed, I think.

As well as making all turnout figures seem horrible low, this could
also make it impossible to dissolve the association (to replace it
with another form, for example).

I'm against unnecessary bureaucracy, but a regular ping seems
necessary. Surely it could be automated to reduce bureaucracy.

Regards,
--
MJ Ray http://mjr.towers.org.uk/email.html tel:+844-4437-237 -