Re: FS criteria -- software distribution examples

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: FS criteria -- software distribution examples
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 08:43:00 +0100

Davi Leal <address@hidden> wrote:
> After 'processing' the last RMS' emails, I have updated the FAQ, so as to it
> can be better understood:
>       * with more examples, adding again the Debian ones
>       * and linking to the email list rationales
>   http://gnuherds.org/faq#FS_criteria

This was addressed to me, it seems, so I reply:

Debian does not promote Non-Free Software.  Debian contains no
Non-Free Software, except as a serious bug.  The project merely tracks
some of it and supports its misguided users.  We will never make the
system require the use of a non-free component.

A few prominent free software activists wilfully ignore this and
lie about the debian GNU OS, but that does not change reality.

It would be nice if GNU Herds did not lie about Debian.  The project's
position is not perfect, I agree, but it is not as evil as the FAQ now
claims.

Regards,