Re: HTML/CSS Developer

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: HTML/CSS Developer
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 19:29:36 +0200

Sameer Naik wrote:
> is somebody already working on it?

Antenore was working on it.  However he is busy since some days ago.

Both, you and Antenore, could work as a team. Slowly but surely. I will help
with feedback too. I am sure, as usual, others will reply with feedback to
the result of your work.

> or is it that the main developers are trying to fix the issues. in case i
> need to sync up with anybody.

You do not need to sync up with anybody.

You could just get a "Save as" copy of http://gnuherds.org/div/ , but that is
just a suggestion. You can do what you want and report it to this
gnuherds-app-dev email list.

About the work exposed at http://gnuherds.org/div/,

1. The main problem is that a big font breaks the look & feel. The menu
   and log-in box overlap with the content area!  So it breaks the
   webapp, and project 'image' too.

   We do not have to copy the look & feel of the current <table> based
   layout. However, before uploading it to the production environment,
   we should get something that works and looks as the <table> based
   one or better.

   The main problem is the content-menu-log-in area overlap. That issue
   should be fixed first than any other problem!

2. The content area is right-aligned. It should be aligned at the
   menu and log-in box's side not at the right side of the browser
   window.

3. The content area should have a maximum-width, as the current one at
   production.

4. At the heading, the text "Free Software Association" is located
   at the top. It should be vertically centered, more or less, as
   the one at production.

5. I am not sure if the location of the language-selection-feature
   is better than the current one at production, due to it forces
   to add a row.  Such row:
         3.1. gets area which would be better used with the
              content and menu <div>s.
         3.2. The dark color of such row produce a worst look & feel.

6. The footer does not look rightly. Previous proposals looked better.

?. ... maybe others tips.

We are allowed to re-use the CSS used at gnu.org, which seams to re-size very
well with huge fonts.  Additional, some guy has advised just checkout the
themes from a CMS like Drupal. It is said that the GNU Herds layout is pretty
typical for them, and they're nearly all well written CSS-based websites.

* http://validator.w3.org/
  http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/